A walk through the Indira Gandhi International Airport(IGI), New Delhi(DEL), the 6th busiest airport in Asia is a pleasure to the eyes. One of the most busiest airports in India with the longest runway, Indira Gandhi International Airport is very big with lot of shopping options and multiple take offs and landings taking place at the same time with 3 runways.
About Indira Gandhi International Airport
Indira Gandhi International Airport (IATA: DEL, ICAO: VIDP) serves as the major international aviation hub of the Indian capital city of New Delhi as well as India. The airport, spread over an area of 5,106 acres (2,066 ha), is situated in Palam, 15 km (9.3 mi) south-west of the New Delhi railway station and 16 km (9.9 mi) from New Delhi city centre. Named after former Prime Minister of India Indira Gandhi, it is the busiest airport in India in terms of passenger traffic since 2009. It is also the busiest airport in the country in terms of cargo traffic, overtaking Mumbai during late 2015. In the calendar year 2018, it was the 12th busiest airport in the world and 6th busiest airport in Asia by passenger traffic handling nearly 70 million passengers. It is the world’s busiest airport for Airbus A320 aircraft.The under construction expansion program will increase the airport’s capacity to handle 100 million passengers by 2030.
The airport was operated by the Indian Air Force before its management was transferred to the Airports Authority of India. In May 2006, the management of the airport was passed over to Delhi International Airport Limited (DIAL), a consortium led by the GMR Group. In September 2008, the airport inaugurated a 4,430 m (14,530 ft) runway. With the commencement of operations at Terminal 3 in 2010, it became India’s and South Asia’s largest aviation hub. The Terminal 3 building has a capacity to handle 34 million passengers annually and is the world’s 8th largest passenger terminal. The airport uses an advanced system called Airport Collaborative Decision Making (A-CDM) to help keep takeoffs and landings timely and predictable.
Some known facts about Indira Gandhi International Airport
- IGI Airport has the most number of non stops hauls(medium haul and long haul). DEL-SFO, ORD, JFK, YYZ, NRT are few of them.
- IGI Airport is the 27th largest building in the world by floor area(5,400,000 sq ft)
- IGI Airport has 3 Runways(no other airport in India has it) allowing for parallel take offs and landing, thus contributing to it being the busiest in the country.
- IGI Airport is the 25th busiest airport in the world at close to 46 Mn passengers handled for 2015.(up from 31 in 2014)
- IGI Airport is the only airport in India to have direct high speed Metro connectivity with the station being at the airport itself.
- IGI Airport has the longest runway in India(14,534 ft) and the 30th longest in the world.
- IGI Airport was once operated by the Indian Air Force
thetraveltechies.com | Travel Techies | Malayalam Vlog | Travel | Tech | Food |
We are Vishakh and Amala(AVIS). We post videos about travel and tech. Do subscribe us on our YouTube channel Travel Techies. We started this channel to promote tourism and to spread information about places, restaurants, hotels and resorts to the world. We also wish to relive our memories of a trip by watching through our travel Vlog. Travel gives a good relaxation and break from our hectic IT life. Join us in our journey to explore the world!
Please do support us
Youtube : https://www.youtube.com/traveltechies
Facebook : https://facebook.com/thetraveltechies
Instagram : http://www.instagram.com/travel_techies
Twitter : https://twitter.com/techies_travel
Pinterest : https://www.pinterest.com/thetraveltechies
Reddit : https://www.reddit.com/user/thetraveltechies
Website : https://www.thetraveltechies.com
Tumblr : https://www.tumblr.com/blog/thetraveltechies
#indiragandhiairport #indiragandhiinternationalairport #igidelhi #del #newdelhi #delhi #india #indiragandhi #airport #igiairport #iginewdelhi #thetraveltechies #traveltechies #amalavishakh #travel #techies #wanderlust #food #foodies #malayalam #malayalamvlog #vlog #malayalamvlogger
- Top Reasons To Immigrate To United Kingdom
- Top Reasons To Immigrate To Canada
- Top Reasons To Immigrate To Ireland
- Visa-free countries for Indians
- Top 10 Countries to Immigrate to in 2023
- How To Apply Ireland Visa Online? Ireland Visa Process Malayalam
- Things To Do After Arrival in Dublin Ireland
- Ireland Home Tour | Our 2 Bed Apartment In Dublin City | Tips On Accommodation Renting And Travel
- Kerala to Ireland Flight Journey in Qatar Airways